Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Yes I Got Transferred Last Week!








I'm in Chula Vista! It's awesome. I actually feel like I'm in the San Diego Mission now.  Before I was in the Mexicali North mission!  But I still miss Calexico and the great people there.  Transfer meeting is basically a couple of short talks by missionaries (on the spot) and then President Schmitt speaks a little and sister Schmitt talks and then he announces who's going where and we go to work!  It was nice not having a 2 hour drive to the Imperial Valley this time, we just went about 20 minutes down to Chula Vista. 

My new comp is great! His name is Elder Browne. We get along super well together. It's a walking/biking area, so far we have just been walking since I don't have a bike. It's fun!  I'm stoked to be in a bike area.  I do need a bike, but for now walking is okay, we are looking for a decent cheap used one.. if you could shuffle in just a tiny bit of money for it that would be sweet. I will try to keep it cheap though. If I can get a good one that would last that would be nice.

Elder Browne is from Maryland, but he went to BYU last year too, he lived in Helaman Halls like me! He is in his third transfer in the field, so I only have 6 weeks more in the mission. I kind of feel like the senior comp is the one who knows the area better, and then there will come a point when we both know it well and we will just be equal, there isn't a super defined senior comp thing here. Since I have more time in the mission there are certain things that I have experience in... but he's familiar with the ward and the people. So I don't really know, it's fun though!

It's pretty fun with him! We have been having a good time, and we get a lot done!  We work downtown, the chapel is far away, we get a ride from the other Chula Elders to all of the church stuff. Our area is right by our apartment, so we work from Second Street to the beach. We live right by a Fuddruckers, and there are tons of other restaurants and stuff on Broadway, which is cool. There are also some good taco shops.  Our apartment is nice. It used to be a hotel building so it's pretty sweet! It's got inside hallways and stuff and it's super secure. Our area is the more ghetto one of the district, but it's not too bad. It's just more downtown ish. Lots of apartments and little houses. We have the most work in the district though, which is cool!  I'm in the Chula Vista 4th ward (Spanish), it's pretty small, about the same as Calexico but seems like it is more solid maybe.

We have a couple of part member families that we are working with, one girl has a baptismal date for the 27th, she's pretty solid on that one, her sister got baptized 2 weeks ago, and we are working with her mom too, she knows the church is true, but is nervous to get baptized because of her family, who are all staunch Catholics. The people in the ward are all really nice and friendly, that's just how it is with Hispanics, they are all super nice! 

There aren't a ton of extra duties right now... we are just regular old missionaries just trying to teach peeps! We try to visit less actives and recent converts a lot. There are some super solid people. The district has 2 sister companionships and 3 elder companionships. Our district covers a ward and a branch, we are in the ward. The zone has one other district in it, I think 10 companionships, but I haven't met everyone in the zone yet. There is a Chula English and Chula Spanish zone, so we are all Spanish which is cool!

P day is only today because we have zone conferences tomorrow with Elder Neilson. It'll be pretty cool! 

This week we have been running around and introducing me to members and investigators. The ward is super solid. We had an awesome day Sunday. Church was sick, it's fun meeting new members and stuff. We had 5 investigators there, which was awesome!

Yesterday (Sunday) evening we had a wonderful Stake Christmas concert. There were tons of members and non-members there! It was packed! They had a Tongan Interfaith choir that sang too, they were super good! We sang in a little Spanish choir, which turned out pretty good too! It was fun to hear all the Christmas songs and see little Christmas videos and stuff!

We have a ward activity tomorrow (Tuesday) evening, I'm going to be Nefi (Nephi) in a little "Christmas from the Book of Mormon" presentation. I'm pretty stoked about that!

Also our district is cool, Elder Takke (was in my district in Calexico) came out here this last transfer too so we are in the same district again! I was stoked at transfer meeting when we both got called to Chula! He's my bud. Love that guy. The other missionaries are cool too! Chula is also one of my dream areas in the mission. This is where they filmed "The District 2" so I have already met a few people from the District. Like Amor Robles and German. The Stake Center and our ward buildings are both in the show a lot too. I've watched so much of the District that I feel like these people are celebrities. ha-ha

We have a mission Christmas devotional, which should be cool, but it's not really a party.  It'll be next week on Monday. 

That's exciting to have the family up in Seattle again! I can't wait to Skype you all together!

I'm happy to hear the ward is having good activities now!

I miss my little Crew! You should send me videos when he's in Seattle! Send me pictures of the lights and the tree and stuff!  

It's been a crazy week! But a good one for sure! How is everyone doing at home??

Love
Elder Hansen

No comments:

Post a Comment